Walking without a purpose – Mountain Challenge – August 2018
Everyone walks in Kenya – it’s the only way to get from A to B in many parts of the area where we work, which is in the mountains and not served by many roads. Volunteers who have worked with the local community really enjoy walking in the area because the scenery is spectacular. Meanwhile, local people fondly call it ‘walking without a purpose’ because the concept of ‘going for a walk’ is something new to them! Our annual Mountain Challenge was born out of this love of walking.
This year the event is on Saturday 18 August on the Dingle Penninsula. You can choose between climbing Mount Brandon or walking part of the Dingle Way. The participant fee is €60 per person.
The money raised by the event will support families to live healthier lives through access to clean water, better healthcare, education and increased household income. We will look after you with experienced, skilled and friendly guides to lead you on your challenge. We promise it will be fun, energising and rewarding. We’ll even give you a t-shirt! Will you join us!?
You don’t have to walk to support this event – you can make a donation through our Just Giving page or on our Facebook page using the donate button or through our website and your money will help change lives. Remember – we’re all about creating better futures and supporting communities to live healthy lives:
- €47 will provide a smokeless stove for a family & reduce risk of burns and problems with lungs & eyesight
- €95 will enable a teacher to attend a 3 day training workshop about the menstrual hygiene program
- €235 will provide a pit latrine for a family to have safe, clean sanitation
- €435 will run a 3 day business training for 25 participants
- €2,825 will help build a water tank at a school to provide water for handwashing
You can also support the event by letting your fingers do the walking and send a text to the word CLIMB to donate €4