Harambee 2016 – volunteer projects to Kenya
We can help with ideas to raise money for both personal and fundraising costs, outlined below. If you’d prefer to pay in smaller, regular installments we can agree a payment schedule too.
Personal: €1,990 (three week project) or €1,880 (two week project) – this includes training expenses, flights, food, accommodation and transport in Kenya.
Fundraising: a minimum of €1,000 is required per volunteer and benefits the community development programmes in Kenya.
Other costs incurred are travel insurance, vaccinations, visas and any optional tourist visits at the end of the project.
Who can volunteer?
Everyone has something to offer and skills to share. People who volunteer with Friends of Londiani typically:
- Want an insight into the culture and traditions of the people in Londiani
- Care about global justice and Londiani’s economy
- Are passionate about basic human rights
- Want to help empower the community in Londiani to achieve an improved quality of life
- Support girls staying in school
- Are looking for a challenge
- Like to travel and want perspective on the world
It’s compulsory for all volunteers to complete a training course and involves approximately four days/evenings. The training programme covers Friends of Londiani’s policies and safe practices that all volunteers are expected to adhere to, along with being Garda-vetted.
Other topics include:
- Community development
- Kenya’s healthy village programme and the community health strategy
- Practicalities including fundraising support, volunteer health and first aid, what to bring with you
- Any specific skills required to volunteer
- Team building and cultural awareness
- Continued engagement with projects after your placement
- Debriefing after the volunteer project
Anyone aged 18 years or over on 1 January 2016 can apply. While there is no upper age limit, if you are 60+ or have a pre-existing medical condition medical proof of fitness is required.
Accommodation onsite varies from basic dormitories to tents. The team’s final night is spent in a hotel to relax and enjoy some tourist activities before flying home. Certain flight times can result in the team spending the first night in a hotel too.
Inform Friends of Londiani as soon as possible if you wish to travel before or after the dates of the project, as this will have an impact on the group’s flight arrangements.
Get in touch with us by email or phone (021 4621748) if you would like to ask us any questions before you apply.
Download an application form »